Arrieta rips Harper after ejection


   Bryce Harper's ejection and resulting on field fury didn't win the applause of fellow teammate Jake Arrieta. After losing to the Mets, Arrieta didn't hold back while talking to the media, saying that "I don't think our guys were ready to play," but he saved his greater criticism for Harper. Arrieta said that "Look, I mean, he's got to understand we need him in right field, I don't care how bad the umpire is. He wasn't great for either side. I'm out there trying to make pitches, and he misses some calls. So what? We need him out there."

   Harper was ejected by home plate umpire Mark Carlson after he struck out in the 4th inning. He was questioning Carlson's calls all night, and then yelled something from the dugout, which led to his ejection. He then burst onto the field and had to be restrained. After the game, Carlson said that Harper's words warranted an automatic ejection based on personal comments and language. Carlson also mentioned physical contact during the argument, which was Harper pushing manager Gabe Kapler into him.

   Harper admitted after the game he should have used more restraint. Harper said that "It just can't happen from my side, In a game like that against the Mets, a division rival, it just can't happen, for me, myself, and this team as well. We're a better team with me in the lineup and I've got to stay in there. I can't control what Carlson's zone is gonna be. I can control what I can do. I've just got to be better with that, tonight and going forward."

Comments