Reynolds announces retirement

*Photo from the Denver Post*
  Veteran slugger Mark Reynolds has officially retired from baseball, he announced on a radio show on SiriusXM. Reynolds played 13 seasons in the major leagues. Reynolds broke in as a high risk, high reward player with the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2007 season after he was selected in the 16th round of the 2004 draft. Reynolds was asked about if he was planning to sign with a team for the 2020 season, if there is one, and it was at that moment he announced his retirement. 

   Reynolds last played for the Colorado Rockies in 2019, hitting a dismal .170 with 4 homers and 20 RBI over 78 games played as the team's primary first baseman. The 2019 season was his second stint with the Rockies and 3rd season with the team. He was with the Rockies in 2016 and 2017, hitting .274 with 44 homers and 150 RBI in that time, as he experienced somewhat of a late career resurgence. That proved to be just about all he had left in the tank. In his career, Reynolds is a .236 hitter with 298 homers and 871 RBI, falling just two homers short of the 300 homer milestone. 

   Reynolds announced his retirement on a radio show after being DFA'd by the Rockies, saying that "I've moved on. I've retired, actually, I guess it's breaking news on your show. I haven't really told anybody. I mean, obviously, my family and friends know, but I'm just, with all this going on and everything, I’m really enjoying time with my family. And now it's time for me to move on and find something else to do." In his 13 seasons, Reynolds has suited up for the Diamondbacks, Rockies, Washington Nationals, New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, St.Louis Cardinals, Milwaukee Brewers, and Baltimore Orioles. 

Comments