Former Mets minor leaguer bashes organization


*Photo from MiLB.com*
   Yesterday, I wrote about the several teams in baseball that are cutting minor leaguers by the hundreds to save some money. Andrew Church, a RHP in the New York Mets organization, was one of the players to be released. He apparently didn't like that too much, as when he got news of his release, went onto Instagram and publicly bashed the Mets. Church said that when he got the news on the phone, the people telling him had nothing but good things to say, but he brought up some troubling news regarding the Mets and how they handled an injury he had.

   Church said that "They knew I would never say no to competing and would fly me around to fill in for anyone that got injured, I realized this wasn't in my best interest when my delayed flight finally landed in the third inning, and I was on the mound in a baseball game for the first time, without any warm-up throws. My UCL originally tore that night. Instead of seeing a doctor like I asked, they sent me back to High-A to pitch in the playoffs. When I told them I couldn't, I was made out to be the bad guy." 

   Church also criticized the team's signing of former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow, saying that "Then the next year, they made a mockery of our team by putting a celebrity on it to sell tickets, we weren't playing to win, we were playing to make everyone else money, not the players. We never saw a cut. Well, allegedly that one player did." 

   Church went on to say that "I honestly think they are making strides to be a better organization, but the culture that has been built within that organization for decades is toxic, filled with snakes and bottom-feeders trying to elevate their professional careers at the expense of the players, with no remorse." 

   Church has played in 6 different minor league levels across 7 seasons with the Mets. In that time, he has a 4.83 ERA with a 30-33 record in 454 1/3 innings pitched. 

Comments