Zimmerman opts out of season


*Photo from Yahoo! Sports*
   Washington Nationals 1B Ryan Zimmerman has decided to opt out of the 2020 season, according to a statement released by Zimmerman. Zimmerman signed a one year deal at a reduced salary this offseason to stay with the Nationals, but has announced he will not be retiring after this season. 

   Zimmerman said in the statement that "After a great deal of thought and given my family circumstances - three young children, including a newborn, and a mother at high risk - I have decided not to participate in the 2020 season, everyone knows how much it means to me to be part of a team, and I will miss that camaraderie dearly this year. Of course I would love to pursue back-to-back titles. I cannot speak for anyone else, but given the unusual nature of the season, this is the best decision for me and my family, and I truly appreciate the organization’s understanding and support."

   Last season, Zimmerman had a .257 average with 6 homers and 27 RBI in limited playing time, only 52 games. For his career, Zimmerman is a .279 hitter with 270 homers and 1,015 RBI. Zimmerman was the first player drafted by the Nationals after moving from Montreal prior to the 2005 season, and he has been with them his entire career and the entire existence of the Nationals franchise, 15 years. Strange that this will be the first season Ryan Zimmerman will not suit up for the Nats.

   Along with Zimmerman, teammate Joe Ross has also opted out of the season. 

Comments