Reds' Bauer ready to pitch on 3 days rest


*Photo from FOX 8*
   In this shortened 60 game regular season that will start on July 23, the Cincinnati Reds could be shaking things up when it comes to the starting rotation. Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson said that the Reds could be sending Trevor Bauer to start every 4th day instead of the usual 5th day, eliminating a day of rest for the righty. Bauer has previously pushed for this in order to be painted in free agency as a guy that can pitch whenever necessary. 

   Bauer said of the possibility that "I've applied some friendly pressure to him, I guess is how you'd say it, but basically letting him know that I want to pitch as much as possible as often as possible. You don't have to worry about wearing down over the course of a long season. We've got a two-month sprint and a month of playoffs. As  long as I'm doing well and helping us win. I want to be out there as much as possible."

   Bauer also said that "I'm in a better position for the sprint, as far as the actual if I pitch more often or whatever the case is, I'm built to throw a lot of pitches, I'm built to throw very often, more so built for four days than I am five days, as that's kind of the optimal recovery cycle that I've found that my body works best with. I'm in a good spot, ready for whatever is thrown at me."

   Bauer is in that condition because even during the worst of the COVID-19 Pandemic, Bauer was finding new and unique ways to stay in game shape, even as team facilities were closed. In his career, Bauer has pitched every 4th day twice, with opponents averaging a .928 OPS in those starts. 

Comments