Phillies announce Fuld as next GM

*Photo from the Philadelphia Inquirer*
   The Philadelphia Phillies are naming Sam Fuld as their next GM, according to Jim Salisbury of NBC Philadelphia. Fuld has been in the Phillies organization since 2017, after retiring from his major league career, and has served in various different roles with the Phillies, but now becomes new president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski's right hand man as the GM. The Phillies have confirmed the deal.

   Dombrowski said of Fuld's hiring that "He’s a good complement to myself. It's a situation where I am by no means adverse to the analytical approach and anything that can make us better, but I think Sam is much more intelligent in those areas than I am. In Sam’s case, he’ll assist me with everything that takes place. He’ll be involved in everything that happens at the big league level. But also, he’ll be in a position where I really want him to focus on the organizations that are progressive now, that are doing every little thing they can to get better, I look for Sam to be able to benefit us there and bring some of those ideas and thoughts to us."

   Dombrowski had said earlier this month that he was unsure about hiring a new GM after Matt Klentak had his role changed with the Phillies. Dombrowski said during the press conference that when he interviewed Fuld for the job, Fuld really impressed him. Dombrowski also mentioned he didn't interview any external candidates for the GM job, as he wanted to keep it in house. 

   Fuld himself said of becoming GM that "I’m really ecstatic to get to work under Dombrowski and work for him and in any way that I can make him better from my own experiences, whether that’s as a player or in ways that I’ve been exposed to some of the newer ideas and methodologies in this game. I'm really excited to do that. I'm excited to put another ring on his finger. I know he’s got a couple already, and I want him to have more and I want to have one myself. I didn't get an opportunity as a player to put one on. I played in the playoffs a few times, but I am really hungry, really thirsty for a championship. I know a lot of Phillies fans out there are, too."

Comments