Indians' Carrasco diagnosed with Leukemia

*Photo from Bleacher Report*
   Cleveland Indians RHP Carlos Carrasco revealed to a dominican news channel that he has been diagnosed with Leukemia. Carrasco said that he has been receiving treatment and that the cancer is under control, and that he hopes to return to the mound for the end of the season. Carrasco said that "At the end of May, they shut me down because they saw something wrong with my blood, the doctors got a little worried and they sent me for a blood test, another blood test. The blood levels were off, the platelets were really high. The following week, my wife and I went to the hospital, and they told us I have leukemia." 

   He went on to say that "That's one of the reasons why I'm not playing right now, but I'll be back at the end of July." He has been out since June 5 after the team announced he was dealing with a blood condition that made him feel lethargic. The Indians held a team meeting to discuss the situation with Carrasco in attendance. He has a 4.98 ERA over 65 innings this season, with 79 strikeouts. Cleveland's starting rotation has been hit hard this year, with Mike Clevinger and Corey Kluber also missing time due to injury. 

Comments