White Sox sign Abreu to 3 year deal

*Photo from USA Today*
   The Chicago White Sox have signed 1B/DH Jose Abreu to a 3 year, $50 million extension, the team announced Friday afternoon. Abreu had previously accepted the one year qualifying offer offered to him by the White Sox, and this deal nullifies that. Abreu hit .284 with 33 homers and an AL leading 129 RBI. Abreu gets a $5 million signing bonus with the deal. Abreu has a full no trade clause in 2020, a limited one in 2021, and no clause in 2022. 

   Abreu said in a statement that "This is a dream come true for me and my family, to the fans, I told you I would come back. I never doubted it. Everybody knows the group of talented players that we have, and I want to help guide them and together make the Chicago White Sox a championship team." He said earlier this offseason that "I always look at Derek Jeter's story and I look at Mariano Rivera's story, who played their whole career with one team. I haven't been here that many years, but I want it to be that way for me, with the Chicago White Sox. That's why I say if they don't sign me, I'll sign myself. I'll play for free."

   White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said in a statement that "From the moment he stepped into the major leagues, Jose Abreu has been a leader on the field and in the clubhouse, he has consistently delivered run production at a historic pace, and with each passing season, his leadership role within our clubhouse -- with both American-born and Latin-American players -- has repeatedly grown. It's certainly no surprise that both Jose and the White Sox were comfortable with a multiyear commitment moving forward." 

Comments