Nats sign reliever Harris

*Photo from Bleacher Report*
   The Washington Nationals have signed RHP Will Harris to a 3 year, $24 million deal, according to the team. Harris played against Washington in the 2019 world series as a member of the Houston Astros. Harris gave up the go ahead two run homer to Howie Kendrick in game 7 of the world series, which resulted in Washington winning the series. Harris is a very dependable late inning reliever, who should get chances in the 9th inning for saves, as well as the 7th and 8th innings. He will try and stabilize the Nats' shaky bullpen.

   Harris has had a 2.36 ERA since joining the Astros in 2015. He is also durable, appearing in 60 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Harris had a brilliant 1.50 ERA last season, leading AL relievers. He was one of Houston's most trusted relievers, throwing 297 innings the last 5 seasons. He was used a lot during the postseason, throwing 9 2/3 innings in 11 appearances, with a 1.64 ERA and 11 strikeouts. 5 of his appearances were in the world series. 

   Harris said of the signing that "I felt like the whole process was kind of trending toward the Nationals maybe from the beginning, they seemed to be the most bullish on me and made me a priority from the beginning, they were on my really, really short list of places I wanted to go, and to have that kind of matchup, I think, was great for everybody." Harris said of leaving the Astros that "All the things we accomplished there in my time, the golden era of Houston baseball, we changed it in 2015, going to the postseason for the first time in 10 years and building on that success, I’m going to carry that stuff with me forever, my office is filled with Astros memorabilia. I’m not taking it off the walls. It’s going to be there for the rest of my life." 

Comments