Padres re-sign Stammen

*Photo from the East Village Times*
   The San Diego Padres have re-signed RHP Craig Stammen to a two year, $9 million deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. There is a player option for a 3rd year worth $4 million, and it has a $1 million buyout. Stammen's deal also has bonuses, which could max out the deal at 3 years and $13 million. Stammen said it was an easy choice to return to San Diego, despite their free agent signings. The front office indicated to him that he was wanted, and new manager Jayce Tingler reached out to Stammen later.

   Stammen said of coming back to San Diego that "I'm going to keep trying to build on the previous three years, to try to help make this into a winning organization. This team is right on the cusp of being a playoff contender." Stammen said of Tingler reaching out to him that "I think that’s the kind of guy Jayce Tingler is, at that time, I was a free agent, so he wasn’t really my manager. But he called out of the blue to get to know me." Stammen said of the bullpen makeover that "I'm sure there will probably be a change in roles, but it’s the people that get outs who wind up getting the ball. I’m going to continue going out there to get outs. I think we’ve got a great bullpen, and I’m looking forward to being part of it."

   The Padres have shored up bullpen depth this winter, trading for Drew Pomeranz and signing Pierce Johnson, in addition to bringing back Stammen. The Padres bullpen will now feature a back end of Stammen, Pomeranz, and all star closer Kirby Yates, with Johnson, Matt Strahm, Andres Munoz, David Bednar, and Javy Guerra up front. 

Comments