Price opts out due to COVID concerns


*Photo from the Los Angeles Times*
   Los Angeles Dodgers LHP David Price has decided to opt out of playing in the shortened 2020 season, according to an announcement by Price. Price, who is a 5 time all star, has become the second high profile player to opt out after Nationals 1B Ryan Zimmerman announced he wouldn't be playing this season. Despite lots of high end talent choosing to play, there has been quite a few players announcing their opt outs, including Joe Ross, Mike Leake, and Ian Desmond. 

   Price's statement reads "After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me to not play this season. I will miss my teammates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a world series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year." 

   The Dodgers released their own statement, saying that "We have been in constant contact with David and we understand how much this deliberation weighed on him and his family, we know he'll be rooting hard for the club every day and look forward to having him back with us in 2021." 

   By opting out, Price will not earn the $11.9 million in prorated pay he was due to make this year. He was traded to the Dodgers along with Mookie Betts this winter from the Red Sox in exchange for Alex Verdugo, Connor Wong, and Jeter Downs. Across 22 starts in 2019, Price posted a 7-5 record with a 4.28 ERA for the Red Sox. 

Comments