Bundy leads Halos over Mariners

 

*Photo from Halo Hangout*
   Since leaving Baltimore this offseason, Dylan Bundy has looked like a completely different pitcher, and the Angels are loving it. Bundy threw a complete game, Shohei Ohtani homered, and the Los Angeles Angels sped past the Seattle Mariners for a 6-1 win Thursday night. Bundy threw the 3rd complete game of his career, and he seems to finally be realizing his potential, which the Angels need, as their pitching staff is full of question marks.

   The Angels started the scoring in the second inning, when Ohtani, shut down from pitching due to a flexor strain, hit a solo homer to left field to make it 1-0 Angels. In the 4th is where the Angels did most of the damage. Tommy LaStella hit an RBI single, Justin Upton was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, and Ohtani scored on a sac fly from Max Stassi to make it 4-0 Angels. In the bottom of the 4th, Dan Vogelbach got the Mariners only run on a solo homer to right field. In the 8th, Stassi ripped a two run homer to left field, making it 6-1 Angels, which held. 

   Bundy went all 9 innings for the Angels, allowing one run on 4 hits, walking no one and striking out 10 hitters. Bundy said postgame that ''You don't always know what to do as a starting pitcher it seems like after you get that last out, I was really wanting to get that last out and it happened to happen to work out that way today.'' Manager Joe Maddon said of Bundy that ''I think a lot of times complete games could really alter the trajectory of starting pitchers, I love when they're able to do that.''

   Maddon also liked what he saw from Ohtani at the plate, saying that ''I saw the best swing I've seen out of him in person and not just the home run, he's on the verge right now. I like a lot of what I saw today and I'm curious if he can keep this path going. He was very focused, very convicted in everything he was doing.''

   Taijuan Walker started and took the loss for the Mariners, throwing 3 2/3 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 3 hits and 3 walks, striking out 3 hitters. Walker assessed his own performance postgame, saying that ''I feel like I kind of beat myself today, getting behind. Three walks in one innings, hit by pitch, that's not going to get the job done, but I felt good. I know what I did wrong. I know I can fix it and get ready for the next start.'' 

   The Angels travel to Texas to face the Rangers for a 3 game series over the weekend, where Griffin Canning will start Friday's game to try and keep the Angels heading in the right direction. The Mariners welcome the Colorado Rockies to town for a 3 game series, where Yusei Kikuchi will start the first game of the series. 

Comments