Marlins sweep Cubs, advance to NLDS

*Photo from the Boston Globe*
Miami wins series 2-0
   The Miami Marlins still have not lost a playoff series in their existence. Sixto Sanchez pitched the game of his life, Garrett Cooper homered, and the Marlins shut out the Chicago Cubs by a 2-0 score to sweep them out of the playoffs and advance to the NLDS. Marlins pitching limited the potent Cubs offense to just one run, a homer by Ian Happ in game one. 

   The offenses were quiet for quite some time, until the 7th inning. Cooper finally broke the scoreless tie with a solo homer to center field, making it 1-0 Marlins. That lead didn't last long, as Magneuris Sierra hit an RBI single to right field, scoring Lewis Brinson and making it 2-0 Marlins, which held. 

   Brad Boxberger got the win for the Marlins, pitching 1 1/3 innings in relief, not allowing a single basrunner. Sanchez got the no decision for the Marlins, working 5 innings, allowing no runs on 4 hits and two walks, striking out 6 hitters. Richard Bleier and Yimi Garcia also pitched for the Marlins, and Brandon Kintzler got the save, striking out 3 hitters in the 9th.

   Sanchez described his mentality entering the crucial start, saying that "I went out there with a lot of hunger, looking to win the game, I was very focused. I was doing a good job until that fourth inning. I got a little scrambled with pitches, but I got back into my rhythm and got those outs. Every time I go out there, I look for the victory, and every victory is for my family." 

   Yu Darvish got the loss for the Cubs, despite a brilliant performance. Darvish threw 6 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on 5 hits and one walk, striking out 6 hitters. Darvish said that he is "Very sad right now, because my focus today was to have Lester pitch one more start at Wrigley. That was my goal today, and I couldn't make that happen. I'm very disappointed."

   Dating back to 2017, the Cubs have scored no more than one run in 6 of their last 8 playoff games. First baseman Anthony Rizzo said of this year's performance that "You see Darvish out there, our whole pitching staff really, just carrying us, and us not being able to come through, it's just heartbreaking, it's upsetting, it's all of the above." 

   The Cubs stay home for the winter, beginning offseason preparations, while the Marlins move to the Texas bubble, where they will face the Atlanta Braves in the NLDS.

Comments