Red Sox add starter Richards

*Photo from the San Diego Union Tribune*
   The Boston Red Sox have signed RHP Garrett Richards to a one year, $10 million deal, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan. There is also a team option for the 2022 season that is also worth $10 million, according to Passan. The deal has been confirmed by the Red Sox.

   Richards suited up for the San Diego Padres in 2020, going 2-2 with a 4.03 ERA, striking out 46 hitters in 51 1/3 innings pitched in 14 games, 10 of which were starts. In his 10 seasons, Richards has a 47-41 record with a 3.62 ERA, throwing 804 2/3 innings in 187 games, 128 of which were starts. Richards has spent time with the Padres as well as the Los Angeles Angels.

   Richards can be a good pitcher when he is healthy, as evidenced by him starting opening day for the Angels in the 2016 season, at the top of the rotation. But he has dealt with arm problems over the course of his career, undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2018, and having thrown just 198 2/3 innings since 2015, when he won 15 games with the Angels.

   Richards talked about his desire to win as why he signed with Boston, saying that "At this point in my career, winning is the main factor in the decision of where I want to play. A historic franchise like the Red Sox having interest in me, it made me want to come play for them. I looked at it like a challenge, playing in that division, but also going to a team that I know is going to score runs and have a lot of fun. These guys always look like they’re having a blast."

   The Red Sox are hoping to get the fully healthy, 2014 and 2015 version of Richards, where he went 28-16 in those two seasons, with a 2.61 ERA in 2014 and a 3.65 ERA in 2015, starting 26 and 32 games respectively. If he can replicate that performance, he'll be a big boost to a Red Sox rotation that needs effective pitching.

   Richards talked about his road to getting healthy, saying that "I put in a lot of time in rehab into getting back on the field and making sure that I can keep the same stuff I’ve always had. I hink that’s just a credit to my hard work and the people who have been around me to help me get to this point. It’s been a lot of hours, a lot of time and effort going into this to get me back on the field."

   Richards joins a Red Sox rotation that features Eduardo Rodriguez, Nathan Eovaldi, Nick Pivetta, and Martin Perez as the likely top 4 in the rotation, with Richards likely taking the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. Swingman Matt Andriese and top prospect Tanner Houck are also likely to compete for innings, and ace Chris Sale is expected back in June or July from Tommy John surgery recovery. 

Comments