Braves top Phillies with late run

*Photo from Talking Chop*
   Ehire Adrianza made the Atlanta Braves as a non roster invite out of spring camp. He proved he belonged on Saturday. Adrianza scored the game winning run, Freddie Freeman homered, and the Braves beat the Philadelphia Phillies with a 5-4 win on Saturday. 

   In the first inning, Didi Gregorius hit a two run single to give the Phillies an early 2-0 lead, but in the bottom of the first, Ozzie Albies hit an RBI double and Freeman hit a two run homer to make it 3-2 Braves. In the 5th, Andrew McCutchen hit a solo homer to tie it at 3. In the 6th, Bryce Harper hit a solo homer and Dansby Swanson hit an RBI double, making it a 4-4 game. In the 7th, Adrianza scored on a fielders choice to make it 5-4.

   Freeman said of the win that "Brian Snitker has been pushing the right buttons. They're all hot for us right now. We have confidence in every single one that goes up there. We wouldn’t have four wins without our pinch-hitters right now."

   Sean Newcomb got the win for the Braves, pitching 1 2/3 innings of relief work, allowing just one hit and one walk while striking out 4 hitters. Ian Anderson got the start for Atlanta, working 5 1/3 innings, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits and one walk, striking out 6 hitters. Will Smith worked the 9th for the save. 

   Adrianza said of scoring the game winning run that "It was pretty tough for me being a non-roster invite for the first time in my career. I told my agent and I told my dad, I was going to play Spring Training like it’s my season to get on the roster. Thank God, they gave me the opportunity. I got to take advantage every single day."

   Archie Bradley got the loss for the Phillies, only getting one out in his relief appearance. Zach Eflin got the start for the Phillies, working 6 innings and allowing 4 runs on 7 hits, striking out two hitters. Jose Alvarado and Sam Coonrod also pitched for the Phillies. 

   Phillies manager Joe Girardi said of giving up the game winning run that "I thought he had a chance to turn a double play, but Didi reacted to where the ball is hit and went toward the ball, thinking about if it got past Alvarado. It's an instinctual play for Didi. I don’t have a problem with either one. Like I said, it’s the perfectly placed ball."

   The Braves and Phillies conclude their series tonight, with Matt Moore starting for the Phillies, and Drew Smyly going for the Braves.

Comments