Solak's two homer night powers Rangers past Halos

*Photo from Big News Network*
   With the Texas Rangers going against the Los Angeles Angels on Tuesday night, the key to the Rangers winning was, Nick Solak? Not exactly a household name, but if he keeps going like this, he will be pretty soon. Solak homered twice, Joey Gallo added a homer, and the Rangers topped the Angels with a 6-1 win Tuesday night.

   Solak hit a solo homer in the first to make it 1-0 Rangers early. In the second, the Angels tied it at one thanks to an RBI single from Albert Pujols. In the 3rd, Gallo gave the Rangers a 3-1 lead on a two run homer. In the 4th, RBI singles from Charlie Culberson and Eli White extended the lead to 5-1 for the Rangers. In the 7th, Solak homered again to make it a 6-1 game.

   Solak said of his power hitting that "A couple years ago I hit a lot of home runs in the Minor Leagues and over the course of my career, throughout the Minors, each and every year I've kind of hit more and more. So I just try to put good swings on the ball and hope they go out."

   Rangers manager Chris Woodward said of Solak's game that "He’s our best hitter right now. He just set the tone right from the beginning. He's not missing fastballs, he's getting in a lot of good counts and putting good swings on balls. He's hammering balls all over the field. When he's right, he's tough to get out. He can ride through some breaking balls, but he also hammers fastballs. It's been fun to watch."

   Mike Foltynewicz got the win for the Rangers, allowing one run on 8 hits, striking out 4 over 5 1/3 innings, putting up a good effort to get the win. John King threw 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief of Foltynewicz, and Joely Rodriguez and Brett Martin finished off the game with scoreless innings as well.

   On the other side, Jose Quintana got the loss for the Angels, getting shelled for 5 runs on 6 hits and two walks, striking out just two hitters in 3 1/3 innings. Junior Guerra threw 3 innings of relief, allowing just one run. Steve Cishek and Ben Rowen also saw action for the Angels out of the bullpen.

   Quintana said of his tough start that "I have plenty of confidence. Games like tonight are frustrating because I feel great. My health is good. My pitches feel good. I need to keep competing. I need to turn the page and keep it going. I feel like I'll be good once I trust my stuff. If I make my adjustments, I’ll be ready to go and compete."

   The Angels and Rangers face off again tonight, with Dane Dunning starting for the Rangers, and Alex Cobb going for Los Angeles.

Comments