Cooper stars as Marlins blank Phils

*Photo from AP News*
   The Miami Marlins are a feisty bunch. They will score runs and aggravate the opposing pitching. They showed that Thursday night. Garrett Cooper homered and drove in 4 runs, Miguel Rojas homered, and the Marlins shut out the Philadelphia Phillies with a 6-0 win Thursday. 

  Cooper said of his offense that "I drive in runs, I hit balls hard, find some barrels, find some gaps. Just as a hitter, I know what I can do, and I think I was a little bit frustrated early on, not getting the big hits. Just take it day by day, like I said. I bring a different dimension to this lineup, you have another guy that can hit for power, it lengthens the lineup."

   Rojas started the scoring in the 3rd with a solo homer to left field, making it a 1-0 lead for the Marlins. Cooper made it a 3-0 lead in the 4th with a two run homer to left as well. In the 6th, Cooper hit an RBI triple and then scored on a ground out to give Miami a 5-0 lead. In the 7th, Cooper grounded into a fielders choice to score Corey Dickerson to give the Marlins a 6-0 win. 

   Sandy Alcantara got the start and the victory for the Marlins, shutting out the Phillies on two hits and 3 walks, racking up 9 strikeouts in 6 dominant innings of work. Adam Cimber and Ross Detwiler threw scoreless innings in the 7th and 8th innings, and Zach Pop shut the door on the Phillies in the 9th inning to secure the win for Miami.

   Alcantara said of his strong start that "You're going to have bad days, and I had one of my really bad days in Los Angeles. I just focused really good, and I was working so hard to be focused for today. I threw a great game today, and I feel good about it, and I've got to keep working hard to keep doing the same."

   David Hale got thrown in as a spot starter for the Phillies after Vince Velasquez was scratched, allowing one run on two hits and one walk across 3 innings pitched. Matt Moore gave two innings after Hale left, and allowed two runs on 3 hits. Archie Bradley then came in and gave up 3 runs in 1 2/3 innings. Brandon Kintzler and Ranger Suarez then came in and had scoreless appearances.

   Phillies manager Joe Girardi said of the team's recent struggles "I’m sure it’s a combination of everything. The interesting thing is we’ve won a lot of first games in series, but we have not won the series. We’ve been really good in the first game, but we need to get better in the second and third games. There’s just frustration."

   The Phillies open a series against the Boston Red Sox tonight, with Aaron Nola starting for Philadelphia. The Marlins start a series against the New York Mets, with Jordan Holloway getting the start for the Marlins.

Comments