Reds' Miley throws 4th no hitter of season

*Photo from the New York Times*
   Pitching has been the big story of the 2021 season. There were 3 no hitters thrown this season so far. Thanks to Wade Miley, now there are 4 no hitters, and two just this week. Miley threw a no hitter, his offense scored 3 runs in the 9th inning, and the Cincinnati Reds defeated the Cleveland Indians 3-0 Friday night in a no hitter, the second time Cleveland has been no hit this season.

   Nick Senzel got the Reds on the board in the 9th inning when he scored on a fielders choice by Nick Castellanos, as well as a throwing error by Emmanuel Clase, making it 1-0. Later in the 9th, Jesse Winker scored on a balk by Clase, and Castellanos scored on a groundout from Mike Moustakas to make it a 3-0 game in favor of the Reds. 

   Miley said he knew he had a no hitter in the "Sixth inning, all my buddies left me. I was like, 'I don't like that.’ I don't like thinking about pitching. I want to talk about something else. I want to talk about fishing, talk about hitting. There's nobody to talk to. I felt Derek Johnson scoot over two or three feet, I was like 'C'mon, Deej.' It was fun. It was cool to be a part of. I'm just happy to do it with this group of guys."

   Miley allowed just one walk in his no hitter, which is the 4th of the season, joining Joe Musgrove, Carlos Rodon, and John Means as the pitchers to throw no hitters this season, and he was the second pitcher to throw a no hitter in 3 days, as Means threw his on Wednesday afternoon against the Seattle Mariners. He and Rodon are the pitchers who have no hit the Indians this season.

   Reds manager David Bell said of Miley's no hitter that "I don’t know that I’ve ever been a part of anything in pretty many years in the game where it was this joyful and just truly authentically happy for one player. What an incredible performance. I don’t even know where to start. I think the thing that stands out is Wade was, right from the very beginning, he had command of all his pitches. He was working fast like always. He didn’t change a thing the whole game."

   Clase got the loss for the Indians, not recording a single out in his disaster of a 9th, that included a balk and a throwing error. He wasted Zach Plesac's start, who allowed no runs on 3 hits, striking out 7 hitters in 8 innings pitched, a great outing from Plesac. Phil Maton finished off the 9th for Clase, striking out 3 hitters.

   Indians shortstop Amed Rosario said of being no hit twice that "This is baseball. I think we're a great group of players, and what I notice is that everybody comes with the same intensity and energy to play. But we have to remember that the other team also comes with that intensity and desire to win. It’s just baseball."

   The Reds and Indians continue their series tonight, with Luis Castillo getting the start for the Reds, and Aaron Civale going for the Indians.

Comments