Riley shines as Braves cruise past Pirates

*Photo from WFTV*
   Ever since he was called up, Austin Riley has made an impact with the Atlanta Braves. Whether it's with his bat or his glove, he makes an impact. This time, it was his bat. Riley hit two homers, Dansby Swanson homered, and the Braves topped the Pittsburgh Pirates with a 7-1 win Sunday afternoon. 

   The Pirates got their run on a first inning RBI double by Bryan Reynolds. In the bottom of the first, Riley responded with a deep 3 run homer to center field, putting Atlanta up 3-1 early. In the 3rd inning, Riley crunched a two run homer, this one going to center as well, giving the Braves a 4 run lead, by a 5-1 score. Dansby Swanson then hit a two run homer in the 6th, and it was 7-1.

   Riley said of his great game that "I've been very hot in this game, and I’ve been very cold in this game. So, I know it can humble you very quickly. So, you’re never satisfied. When I'm good, I'm going to the big part of the field. I think that's where I'm at right now. It allows me to hit the fastball and stay on offspeed. I think that's where I'm at right now, and I think that's my best self."

   Max Fried got the victory for Atlanta, throwing 7 great innings, allowing one run on 4 hits and 3 walks, while striking out two hitters. Chris Martin and Edgar Santana each threw an inning of relief as the Braves got their 3rd straight win, as they won the series against the bottom feeding Pirates.

   Fried was very satisfied with the Braves weekend after the game, saying "For us to come in and play some good baseball and some good complete baseball on all facets, I think you’re starting to see more of the team that we know we are."

   JT Brubaker got hit hard in his start for Pittsburgh, allowing all 7 runs on 7 hits, still striking out 7 hitters, over 5 1/3 innings pitched. Clay Holmes finished the 6th for Brubaker, and then Duane Underwood Jr and Kyle Crick each threw shutout innings, with Underwood handling the 7th, and Crick working the 8th.

   Pirates manager Derek Shelton said of Atlanta's potent offense that "This lineup’s really good. This lineup’s really hot. And this ballpark is conducive to, if you hit the ball in the air, it’s going to get out of here. They are taking full advantage of that. We caught them at a time where they’re swinging the bats well. I think coming into the series they were leading the league in homers, so it’s one of those things that’s how their offense is built."

   The Braves have a day off before starting a series with the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday, where Charlie Morton gets the start for the Braves. The Pirates open a series with the division rival Cubs on Tuesday, with Shelton not having announced a starter yet. 

Comments