Gallo powers Rangers to shutout win

*Photo from the Dallas Morning News*
   Watch out baseball world, because Joey Gallo is tearing up baseballs again. When he does that, the Texas Rangers are that much scarier. Gallo homered twice, Jose Trevino drove in two runs, and the Rangers defeated the Kansas City Royals 8-0 on Saturday afternoon. 

   On the pitching side, it was Kyle Gibson who got the start for the Rangers, and he did not disappoint one bit for Texas. Gibson allowed just two hits and one walk while racking up 10 strikeouts over 7 shutout innings pitched for the Rangers, earning the win. Brett Martin and Ian Kennedy threw the final two innings for the Rangers to seal the deal.

   Rangers manager Chris Woodward said of Gibson's start that "I thought we were gonna maybe witness something special there. He was getting swings and misses. Jose kept coming back saying, ‘This is the best I've ever seen him.’ I feel like there was a chance there, that he may do something pretty special. I didn't say it, but you can just feel it."

   On the hitting side, Trevino started the party with a two run double in the second inning. Adolis Garcia then hit an RBI single in the second as well, and the Rangers had a 3-0 lead after two innings. In the 4th inning, Gallo cranked a 3 run homer to center field, doubling the lead to 6-0 in favor of Texas. In the 8th, he hit a two run homer to center field, making it 8-0 Rangers.

   Gallo said of his recent hot streak that "It's experience and growth and maturity. It's my fifth year now and it's not that long, but it's a lot of games. It’s just experience and for me not panicking. I know I wasn't killing it early in the year, but I felt like I was still playing well and getting on base. I knew it was just how baseball goes. That's just kind of how you have to approach things in baseball, so that's something that I learned along the way."

   For the Royals, it was Kris Bubic who took the loss in a disappointing day all around. Bubic lasted just 2/3 of an inning, giving up 3 runs on 3 hits and two walks, after starter Kyle Zimmer only went one inning. Ervin Santana then threw 3 1/3 innings in relief, allowing 3 runs on 3 hits and one walk. Josh Staumont and Wade Davis also pitched.

   Bubic said of his bad outing that "I just couldn’t really get in a rhythm with anything. All three pitches were a grind to get out there today. It’s simple. Last time I did my job. Today I didn’t. I got ahead a few times, but couldn’t put anybody away. Fell behind, and you know what happens."

   The Rangers and Royals conclude their series on Sunday afternoon, with Jordan Lyles starting for Texas, and Brady Singer getting the start for Kansas City.

Comments