Hernandez and Ray give Jays win

*Photo from the Winnipeg Free Press*
      In George Springer's second game back since being activated off the 10 Day IL, he wasn't being expected to get the big hit or the dramatic homer. He did still play a role in the win. Springer drove in a run, Teoscar Hernandez hit an RBI double, and the Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Miami Marlins 3-1 on Wednesday night.

   With all the uncertainty surrounding the Blue Jays pitching staff this season thanks to injuries and underperformance, Robbie Ray has been a pleasant surprise. He's stayed healthy, and he's been right up at the top of the starting rotation alongside Hyun-Jin Ryu. He got the start against the Marlins, and got the win again.

   Ray said of his success that "It’s been my routine. Staying consistent with my workouts and knowing when I need to take a day. Pitching every five days, I feel like it’s the best thing for me. I asked to not have the extra day and be pushed back because I feel like having that five-day routine for me is pretty crucial. It’s about sticking with my routine and rolling with it."

   Ray turned in another solid start for a Blue Jays team that needs it. Ray allowed just one run on 4 hits, walking one while recording 6 strikeouts in 6 strong innings. After that, Tim Mayza and Tyler Chatwood threw shutout innings, and closer Jordan Romano came on and threw a shutout 9th inning for the save, his 5th of the season.

   Ray said of his good start that "I felt like I was able to keep them off balance. I was moving my fastball to both sides of the plate. I felt like, arm-side, that’s the best it’s been all year with my arm-side fastball. I was able to drive that pitch down and away to some righties whereas the game plan a lot of the time is attacking guys in. With some of these guys, I was able to get early outs away with the fastball, so I was pretty happy about that."

   Hernandez got the Blue Jays on the board early, with Hernandez hitting an RBI double to right field, and Springer contributing an RBI ground out, giving the Blue Jays a 2-0 lead to work with after one inning. In the 5th, Marcus Semien came around to score on a Bo Bichette single, giving the Blue Jays a 3-0 lead. Starling Marte gave Miami their only run of the game on a solo homer in the 6th inning.

   Trevor Rogers got the start on extended rest for Miami, and didn't fare as well as was hoped, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits and two walks, striking out 6 hitters in 5 innings pitched. After that, it was up to the bullpen, who did their job. John Curtiss threw two shutout innings, while Adam Cimber and former Blue Jay Anthony Bass each threw a shutout inning as well.

   Rogers said of starting on extended rest that he "Felt out of sync a little bit. Today was going on my eighth day. Extra jitters, extra adrenaline. It's been a week and some change since my last time out. Adrenaline definitely pumping, just out of sync a little bit, made some good pitches."

   The Marlins start a series with the Washington Nationals on Thursday, with Cody Poteet starting the opening game. The Blue Jays welcome the Baltimore Orioles to town on Thursday, with Anthony Kay getting the start. 

Comments