Machado and Snell give Padres shutout win

*Photo from Reuters*
   San Diego Padres starter Blake Snell came in to his start against the New York Mets looking for redemption. Snell dominated, Manny Machado homered, and the Padres shut out the Mets 2-0 on Friday night. 

   Machado started the scoring with a solo home run in the first inning, giving San Diego a 1-0 lead early in the game. It remained that way until the 7th inning, when Machado drew a bases loaded walk, sending Jurickson Profar home and giving the Padres a 2-0 lead, which ended up being the final score.

   Snell said of his bounce back start that "The belief in me has always been really strong so good or bad it doesn't matter, I know who I am. That was the secret today, I just pitched. I threw what I wanted to throw and made sure I threw strikes as frequently as I could."

   Snell put on a pitching clinic, allowing no runs on just one hit and one walk, racking up 10 strikeouts in 7 sharp innings pitched. Pierce Johnson came on after Snell left and threw a scoreless 8th inning, and Mark Melancon got all 3 outs in the 9th via strikeout, earning his 19th save of the season. 

   Snell said "I just said this is my night, I am not letting anyone cross the plate. It was just kind of a mindset that I was going to throw fastballs and I was going to make them swing. “As that inning went, I just knew I was going to have a lot behind every fastball so I might as well throw it as hard as I can and see what they can do with it."

   Joey Lucchesi got the loss for the Mets in his start, allowing one run on 4 hits, striking out 3 hitters in 4 2/3 innings pitched. Jacob Barnes finished the 5th inning for Lucchesi, followed by 1 2/3 innings for Drew Smith, 1/3 of an inning for Jeurys Familia, and one inning for Trevor May. 

   Francisco Lindor said of almost being no hit that "Nobody wants to be no-hit, man. I don’t want to be part of that highlight. We definitely felt like we had a great opportunity to score. Snell made some pitches. Snell made some quality pitches with no outs and a guy on third base. Hat’s off to him."

   The Mets and Padres continue their series tonight, with Jacob Degrom starting for New York, and Joe Musgrove going for San Diego.

Comments