Detmers earns first big league W in Angels win

*Photo from the Orange County Register*
   A first round pick in the 2020 MLB draft, Los Angeles Angels pitching prospect Reid Detmers has had an accelerated path to the majors, particularly this season, jumping from Double A Rocket City to Triple A Salt Lake, and now up to the majors. Now, he has his first win. Phil Gosselin homered, and the Angels defeated the Houston Astros 3-1 on Sunday afternoon.

   Detmers said of the lineups he has faced in the bigs(Athletics, Dodgers, Astros) that "They're good lineups. They're who they are for a reason. They're good-hitting teams and they score a lot of runs. At times it's been difficult, but I mean if I hit my spots and keep them off-balance, things are going to go my way."

   The Astros offense got things started early against Detmers, and it looked like he was heading for another loss in his young career. Michael Brantley tagged Detmers for a solo home run to right field, putting Houston ahead 1-0 a third of the way into the game.

   Then, Detmers settled down, and the Angels offense went to work. Jack Mayfield came around to score on a ground out by David Fletcher, and it was a 1-1 tie after 5 innings. In the 6th, a fielders choice by Jo Adell scored Gosselin, and the Angels took a 2-1 lead. In the 8th, Gosselin hit a solo home run to left field, putting the Angels ahead 3-1 and sealing the game.

   Detmers improved to 1-2 on the season with the win, allowing just the one run, while giving up 3 hits and two walks, striking out 6 hitters in 6 innings pitched. Austin Warren picked up a hold with a shutout 7th inning. Jose Quintana got a hold by pitching 2/3 of the 8th inning, which led to Raisel Iglesias getting a 4 out save, the 26th save of the season for Iglesias.

   Detmers liked his stuff during the game, saying that "Early on I was pulling off really hard, and I just wasn't able to finish a couple of my pitches. Later on in the game, I was getting a little bit more extension, so I was able to finish those pitches off and getting those quick easy outs and getting some swings and misses."

   Lance McCullers Jr got the loss for the Astros, his first road loss of the season, dropping to 9-4 overall. McCullers allowed two runs on 6 hits and one walk, with 8 punchouts in 5 2/3 innings pitched. Ryne Stanek finished the 6th inning for McCullers, and Cristian Javier threw two innings in relief to finish the game.

   McCullers was pleased with his stuff despite the loss, saying that "I felt I was in control of the game. Even when they scored runs, it was ground balls in the infield and things of that nature. I thought I threw the ball really well. A lot of strikes, a lot of batters behind in the count. I felt like the last few starts, it’s been a lot of kind of hits that are finding holes, so I just keep grinding. Overall, I thought it was a solid performance. Just keep going."

   The Angels play a makeup game with the New York Yankees tonight, with Jose Suarez getting the start. The Astros travel to Kansas City to face the Royals tonight, with Jake Odorizzi starting for Houston.

Comments