Former Mets GM found not guilty on DWI charges

*Photo from Newsday*
   After being arrested for DWI in August, former New York Mets acting GM Zack Scott was found not guilty of drunk driving charges in a White Plains, NY, courtroom on Thursday, according to Tim Britton of The Athletic.

   The arrest came in late August after Scott had attended a fundraiser at owner Steve Cohen's house. He was found asleep at the wheel, and was arrested for DWI. Scott refused a breathalyzer test at the scene, and the Mets eventually fired him in November, after he had been on administrative leave since September.

   Scott's lawyer Bruce Bendish said in a statement that "Today, after hearing and seeing all the evidence against our client, a judge in the White Plains City Court acquitted Zack Scott of all criminal charges against him. We are grateful for the judge’s diligent attention and consideration of the evidence, and believe he arrived at the only conclusion possible."

   In his own statement, Scott said of the not guilty verdict that "I am thankful for today's verdict. Nonetheless, I regret choices I made on August 31, resulting in circumstances that led to my arrest. Thank you to my attorneys, friends, professional associates, and, most importantly, my family for supporting me throughout this process. Professionally, I'm grateful to Sandy Alderson for the opportunity to lead baseball operations for the Mets and wish my former teammates nothing but the best going forward. I believe this humbling experience will make me a better husband, father, son, friend and leader, and I look forward to what the future holds."

   The arrest of Scott was just another episode in a 2021 season filled with bad headlines for the Mets. He had initially became GM after Jared Porter was fired after sexual harassment allegations. Francisco Lindor and Jeff McNeil had a big scandal, and Luis Rojas was let go after the Mets failed to make the playoffs again. Billy Eppler has taken Scott's place as GM of the Mets.

Comments