Wainwright hints at 2022 retirement

*Photo from Redbird Rants*
   Hold on tight, there's another legend that is walking away from the game soon. St.Louis Cardinals RHP Adam Wainwright said in an interview on the R2C2 Podcast that 2022 may be his final season, in an episode published on Saturday.

   If 2022 does prove to be Wainwright's final season, he would be walking off the field with legendary Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina, who already confirmed he will retire after 2022. Wainwright said there was a good chance 2022 would be his last season in the majors, but did not want to say for sure that he would retire.

   Wainwright said that "It's been a good run. I would be willing to say that it's almost certainly my last year, but I'm not gonna go write that in stone. I don't like 100% committing either way, right. Two of my favorite athletes of all time, Michael Jordan and Brett Favre, they each retired like 17 times apiece. And I just, I want to retire one time and be done, and know that I'm done when I walk off the field."

   The Wainwright-Molina battery, on the mound and behind the plate respectively, have been virtually inseparable since 2005, when they started working with one another. They won a world series together in 2006 and 2011, and almost won another one in 2013, ultimately losing to the Boston Red Sox in 6 games.

   In 2021, Wainwright seemingly turned back the clock and had one of his best seasons, finishing with a 17-7 record and 3.05 ERA, throwing 206 1/3 innings, striking out 174 hitters while making 32 starts, throwing 3 complete games, and starting the wild card game for the Cardinals, ending in a loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

   Across his 16 year career, all with the Cardinals, Wainwright has a 184-105 record to go along with a 3.35 ERA, throwing a total of 2,375 2/3 innings across 358 starts and 67 relief appearances. In the postseason, Wainwright has a 4-5 record with a 2.83 ERA, making 16 starts and 13 relief outings across 9 years in the playoffs.

   Wainwright emphasized that he wanted to be absolutely sure of his decision to retire, saying that "I have such a love for the game, and such a love for my family, and such a respect for both sides, that I wanna know that I know that I know before I make a decision."

Comments