Giants agree to deal with Boyd

*Photo from Detroit Jock City*
   Championship teams need an abundance of pitching depth, which is what the San Francisco Giants are trying to assemble. The Giants and LHP Matthew Boyd have agreed to a one year, $5.2 million deal, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman. The Giants have confirmed the deal.

   The deal given to Boyd also contains an extra $2.3 million in performance bonuses. Boyd will start the season on the 60 day IL as he continues to work his way back from September surgery on the flexor tendon on his left arm. He is expected to return sometime in June, barring any setbacks.

   Boyd said of signing with the Giants that "It was a combination of a winning organization, being close to home and playing for a place where I can grow. I believe my best baseball is ahead of me. I know I’ve started to taste that over the last few years. I wanted to go somewhere that I could grow as a ballplayer and truly develop and propel hopefully the next 10-plus years of my career. I thought there was no better place to do it than with this staff. I’m really, really excited to be wearing black and orange."

   Last season, in a Detroit Tigers uniform, Boyd finished his season with a 3-8 record to go with a 3.89 ERA and 1.27 WHIP, with 67 punchouts and 23 walks, throwing only 78 2/3 innings while being limited to 15 starts due to injury.

   Across Boyd's 7 big league seasons, split between the Tigers and Toronto Blue Jays, he has a career 37-62 record with a 4.96 ERA and 1.32 WHIP, striking out 759 and walking 248, throwing 784 1/3 innings, making 145 starts and 4 relief appearances. Boyd has never seen playoff action in his career.

   Giants manager Gabe Kapler said that "I think he’s going to start meaningful games for us this season. Obviously that’s going to be dictated by health, but we have every intention of having him pitch big games for us. We’ve discussed this many, many times over the last couple of years, but I think it’s always worth reminding, we’re not going to have five guys, or six guys or seven guys make 162 starts and all of the potential playoff starts. We need to have a lot of guys able to contribute to take down all those innings. He’s going to help us with that."

   The Giants already have a full 5 starters in their rotation, with Boyd and Jakob Junis likely first up for a spot in the rotation if injuries hit. Anthony DeSclafani, Alex Wood, Alex Cobb, Carlos Rodon, and Logan Webb are currently a part of the Giants rotation, with prospect Tyler Beede vying for innings as well.

Comments