Soto knocks off Rodriguez to win home run derby

*Photo from the Los Angeles Times*
   Pete Alonso? He had his time. There's a new champ now. Washington Nationals outfielder Juan Soto captured the 2022 home run derby title after defeating Seattle Mariners phenom Julio Rodriguez in the final round on Monday night in Los Angeles.

   After turning down a massive 15 year, $440 million megadeal extension offer from the Nationals, Soto came out and mashed his way to a title, his first career derby win in his second career appearance. At age 23, Soto, who entered the night as the 4th seed in the derby field, has become the second youngest derby champion in it's history.

   Soto said of the win that "It’s really exciting. I’m really excited and proud of what I just accomplished. My family has always been with me and they keep things really positive for me. I honestly never thought I’d get this far, but thanks to them, here we are."

   In round one, Albert Pujols unseated heavy favorite Kyle Schwarber, knocking him off in a swing off by a 20-19 score. Rodriguez topped Corey Seager by a whopping 32-24 score, Alonso defeated Ronald Acuna Jr 21-19, and Soto beat Jose Ramirez of the Cleveland Guardians by a 18-17 score.

   The second round of the derby featured Alonso against Rodriguez, and Soto against Pujols. Rodriguez beat the two time defending champ Alonso in a landslide, winning 31-23 to advance to the finals. Soto's win was less of a rout, edging Pujols by a 16-15 score to move on and face the rookie Rodriguez in the finals.

   In the finals, both hitters power surges, particularly Rodriguez, had seemingly fallen off, but Soto mustered up one extra home run, winning by a 19-18 score to claim the derby title, presented by Puerto Rican rapper Bad Bunny.

   After his win, Soto said that "Winning the derby is something special, but it means more because I did it for the Dominican Republic. The people there are always supporting me and they’ve been there every step. I know all their prayers are heard and today I heard them more than ever."

   Up next in the all star break festivities is the main event, with the all star game taking place on Tuesday night.

Comments