Astros roll past Angels as Altuve and Tucker star

*Photo from the Porterville Recorder*
   As we have seen quite a few times this season, the Houston Astros throttled a team. Kyle Tucker homered, Jose Altuve homered and drove in 3 runs, and the Astros defeated the Los Angeles Angels with a 9-1 victory on Sunday afternoon in Los Angeles.

   By picking up the win on the series finale, the Astros locked up the series win against their AL West rivals. They improved to 86-48 on the season, and have won 7 of their last 10 games. Today, the Astros got it done on 5 combined RBI's from Tucker and Altuve.

   Altuve said of his recent success that "I'm just trying to put good contact on the pitch I want. I think it’s still a little early to talk about results. We can talk about that at the end of the season. I’m feeling really good right now, and I'm trying to go out there and get on base and, obviously, help my team win more games."

   The scoring started with a bang, with Tucker belting a two run home run to right field, making it 2-0 early. David Hensley followed that up with a double down the left field line, doubling the Astros lead to 4-0. Altuve then made it a 5-0 game with a double to right field, which was enough to bring home Hensley.

   Once the 7th inning came around, Altuve delivered once again, hitting a two run home run to left field, increasing the Astros lead to a 7-0 margin. In the 8th, Mike Trout hit a solo home run to get the Angels on the board and making it 7-1. Yordan Alvarez added a two run single in the 9th inning to make the score 9-1.

   Picking up the start in the finale for the Astros was Jose Urquidy, who had a dominant start. Urquidy allowed just 4 hits and one walk, notching 8 strikeouts in 7 shutout innings. Brandon Bielak came on in relief, allowing one run while throwing the final two innings.

   Urquidy talked about the environment of his start, saying that "Yesterday, I hydrated a lot. I was drinking a lot of water. I know today, it was very hot, and I was thinking to make good pitches and have a fast game today."

   Starting for the Angels was Tucker Davidson, who had a shaky start to end the series. Davidson was charged with 7 runs on 7 hits and two walks, striking out 4 hitters in 6 1/3 innings pitched. Touki Toussaint came on and pitched the next 1 2/3 innings, before Jose Marte worked the final inning.

   Davidson weighed in on his start, saying "It was kind of a roller coaster of a day. It started out really good. The second inning was bad, and then I figured out how to get into the seventh, which I thought was big from a team aspect, because it helps the bullpen. I think the biggest thing is to minimize when I can, and I did that after the second inning."

   Up next, the Astros get back in action with a Monday night home game against the Texas Rangers, with Hunter Brown getting the start. The Angels play host to the Detroit Tigers, with Jose Suarez to get the start.

Comments