D-Backs sign top outfield prospect Carroll to extension

*Photo from Lookout Landing*
   We're back in extension season it seems like. The Arizona Diamondbacks and OF Corbin Carroll have agreed to an 8 year, $111 million contract extension, according to Nick Piecoro of AZ Central. The D-Backs have confirmed the news.

   Arizona GM Mike Hazen said of the extension that "I don't have a crystal ball on these things, so I don't know exactly where some of that will come down from a performance standpoint. But I do know some things. And I'll tell you exactly what I know about the human being that we're signing. That human being, I'm convinced, goes to bed every night fixated on how he is going to be a better player the next day, and what he could do to help the organization and the team win."

   Carroll is one of the important pieces of a D-Backs core of young top players, with Alek Thomas and Gabriel Moreno alongside him. Highly regarded pitching prospects Drey Jameson, Tommy Henry, Brandon Pfaadt, and Ryne Nelson are also on the cusp of making a big impact in the majors.

   The 2022 season marked Carroll, one of the highly rated prospects in Arizona's system, breaking into the majors. Carroll finished with a .260 batting average, .500 slugging percentage, and .830 OPS, hitting 4 home runs with 14 RBI's in 32 games of action.

   A first round selection in the 2019 MLB Draft, Carroll only got in the end of that minor league season before Covid-19 cancelled the minor league season in 2020. Carroll spent the year at the D-Backs alternate training site and debuted 2021 with High A. He began 2022 with Double A, eventually getting to Triple A and then the majors by the end of the season.

   Carroll said of signing his extension that "It’s just a day of a lot of gratitude for me. Gratitude to this front office, gratitude to this ownership group. Gratitude to my parents, friends, teammates. All of our staff here, you know the medical staff, strength staff, the cooks that feed me every day. Everyone. I just couldn't be more grateful to my agent, Joe Urbon with CAA. The trust that's been given to me, I just I really appreciate it and that's just something I want to live up to every single day. And I don't think that involves anything other than just being myself."

   The contract for Carroll is the largest contract given to a player with less than 100 days of major league service time and no playing experience in a foreign league. It covers all of his arbitration eligible seasons and the first two free agency seasons.

   Carroll's deal also contains a $28 million team option for the 2031 season that has a $5 million buyout attached to it. The D-Backs previously gave out a pre-arbitration extensions to Ketel Marte, who got a 5 year and $24 million deal in 2018, and 5 years and $32 million were given to Paul Goldschmidt.

Comments