Verdugo hits walk off homer as Red Sox rally past Blue Jays

*Photo from the Boston Globe*
   This year, they're down but not out. Enmanuel Valdez homered, Alex Verdugo delivered the winning hit, and the Boston Red Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays with a 6-5 victory on Monday night in Boston.

   Valdez was the only multi RBI player for the Red Sox as they managed to outlast the Blue Jays, a team that has been a thorn in their side, with the Blue Jays going 16-3 against Boston last season. Verdugo also delivered his 3rd walk off hit of the season.

   Asked about beating the Blue Jays, Verdugo said that "Obviously, it feels good to win this one. Last year, they had our number. I think it's one of those things, man, we want to play competitive games against these guys. Last year, there were a lot of blowouts, a lot of uncompetitive games. So for us, it's just that constant grind. I think our hitters are doing a good job from leadoff to the nine-hole, putting good at-bats on people. I think we're in a better space than we were last year."

   Masataka Yoshida hit an RBI double and Justin Turner added an RBI single in the first inning to give the Red Sox an early 2-0 lead. In the second inning, Bo Bichette put the Blue Jays ahead 3-2 with a 3 run home run to left field. Jarren Duran tied the game in the 6th inning with a solo home run, then Valdez put the Red Sox ahead 5-3 with a two run shot.

   Kevin Kiermaier reached base in the 8th inning on an error, scoring Cavan Biggio at the same time to cut the Toronto deficit to 5-4. Kiermaier then scored on another error, tying the score 5-5. Verdugo was the first batter of the bottom of the 9th for the Red Sox, and he hit a solo home run into the bullpen for the walk off win.

   Verdugo said that "I knew I was going to hit in the ninth and I was like, ‘I want to end this.' But, you know, that was all in the outfield, when I'm out there just talking to myself. Then I got up to the plate and told myself I just needed to take that first pitch to just get into that at-bat. I could have gotten in there and automatically swung and rolled over to first. So I was like, ‘Man, I want to see what his heater looks like, how it's coming out of his hand.’ And I’m glad that I did."

   Corey Kluber got the start for the Red Sox, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits, striking out 7 hitters over 5 1/3 innings pitched. Brennan Bernardino finished the 6th inning for Kluber before Chris Martin worked a scoreless 7th. Josh Winckowski pitched the final two innings to get credited with the win.

   Jose Berrios allowed 5 runs on 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings in his start for the Blue Jays, getting a no decision. Tim Mayza finished the 6th inning before Nate Pearson worked the next two innings. Jordan Romano took the loss, giving up the homer in the 9th to Verdugo.

   Up next, the series continues on Tuesday night. The Red Sox look for another win with Tanner Houck starting, while Yusei Kikuchi gets the start for the Blue Jays.

Comments