Alonso and Quintana shine as Mets beat Cardinals

*Photo from WAMC*
   The Amazin Mets still have talent after all. Pete Alonso homered, Tim Locastro added a homer of his own, and the New York Mets defeated the St. Louis Cardinals with a 4-2 victory on Thursday night in St. Louis.

   The Mets didn't have a lot of offense on display to open the series, but they produced enough to win their second straight game and 5th of 10, sitting at 56-66 on the season. On the mound, Jose Quintana got his first win of the season against one of his old teams.

   Mets manager Buck Showalter said of the game that "It was a pitcher's game tonight. We played really well defensively with one exception. Lindor made some really tough plays tonight look easy, McNeil made a good play, Nimmo made a great play, and I feel like that was what I really enjoyed and how well we played defensively tonight."

   After a scoreless first 3 innings, Alonso got the scoring started in the 4th inning. He hit a two run home run to center field, making it 2-0 Mets on his 37th homer of the season. One inning later, Francisco Lindor padded the lead. With Rafael Ortega on base, Lindor doubled him home to make it a 3-0 lead for the Mets.

   Come the 7th inning, Tyler O'Neill got the Cardinals on the board. He hit a solo home run to left field, making it a 3-1 game. Jordan Walker then scored on an Alec Burleson sac fly later in the inning to cut the deficit to 3-2. It stayed that way until the 9th, when Locastro gave the Mets an insurance run to make it a 4-2 game.

   Getting the start for the Mets was Quintana, who allowed two runs on 3 hits and 4 walks over 6 innings, striking out 5 hitters. In relief, Drew Smith, Grant Hartwig, and Trevor Gott each threw a scoreless inning, with Gott picking up his first save of the season.

   Quintana said of his start that "I needed this W you know. All my teammates, they gave me really good support in the game, a couple good plays behind me, and Alvarez called a really good game, and I felt really good out there."

   It was Adam Wainwright who started for the Cardinals, allowing 3 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks in 6 innings. Andre Pallante pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings before Drew VerHagen finished the 8th. John King allowed one run in the 9th inning.

   Wainwright said of his start that "This was a good step. Definitely one I can build off of. I felt like myself out there, controlling counts. The last couple of outings, I let what has happened this year affect me way too much. I’m always pitching for my life. I’m always trying to prove something, trying to make the team."

   Up next, the series continues on Friday night. Joey Lucchesi takes the mound for the Mets, while the Cardinals start Zack Thompson.

Comments