Alonso has big day as Mets rout Cubs

*Photo from AP News*
   The Polar Bear power was on full display. Danny Mendick drove in 3 runs, Pete Alonso homered twice, and the New York Mets cruised past the Chicago Cubs with a 11-2 victory on Monday night in Queens.

   The Mets won for just the 3rd time in 10 games, but the offense was firing on all cylinders in the win. Alonso did most of the heavy lifting, tying a career high with 6 RBI's in the game in addition to homering in consecutive at bats to pace the Mets offense in the series opening win.

   Alonso said of his big day that "I was extremely disciplined and I thought I did a great job executing. I just wanted to take good swings at pitches in my zone. The people in front of me just had excellent quality at-bats and gave me a chance to drive in my teammates. Really fortunate that they had great at-bats in front of me and really fortunate that I was able to capitalize on pitches in my zone."

   Starting the scoring was Alonso, cranking a 3 run home run in the first inning to make it 3-0 Mets early. In the top of the 3rd, Cody Bellinger hit an RBI single to get the Cubs on the board. Alonso hit a two run home run in the bottom to make it 5-1 game. Bellinger added another RBI single in the 5th to make it 5-2.

   Jonathan Arauz drew a bases loaded walk in the 6th followed by an RBI groundout by Brandon Nimmo to make it 7-2 Mets. In the 7th, Mendick made the score 10-2 with a 3 run home run to left field. Alonso then drove in Francisco Alvarez in the 8th with an RBI single to make it 11-2 in favor of the Mets.

   Kodai Senga got the start for the Mets, allowing two runs on 7 hits and two walks in 6 innings, striking out 6 hitters. Brooks Raley pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings before Drew Smith finished the 8th inning. Jimmy Yacabonis worked the 9th to seal the win.

   Drew Smyly started for the Cubs, allowing 7 runs on 8 hits and two walks, getting the loss with 5 innings pitched. Caleb Kilian pitched a scoreless 6th before Daniel Palencia allowed 3 runs in the 7th. Catcher Tucker Barnhart allowed 3 runs while pitching the 8th.

   Smyly said after the game that "I think there's a lot of things that are trending in a good direction. It's just, the results haven't been there. They're not there. Obviously the home run right now is an issue. I keep saying the same thing to you guys over and over, but at the end of the day it's just, I have to play better."

   Up next, the series continues on Tuesday night. The Mets go for the series win with Carlos Carrasco taking the mound. The Cubs aim to tie the series with Jameson Taillon getting the start.

Comments