Twins deal Gordon to Marlins for reliever Okert

*Photo from MLB.com*
   Here's a simple baseball trade. The Miami Marlins have acquired INF/OF Nick Gordon from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for LHP Steven Okert, according to announcements from both teams.

   Both Gordon and Okert are out of minor league options and both had unclear major league fits with their teams, so they were traded for each other for more defined roles. Gordon was once the top ranked prospect in the Twins farm system and provides plenty of defensive versatility. He can play second base, shortstop, and the outfield.

   Gordon said of the trade that "Coming over to Miami and just taking every single opportunity, every blessing that comes my way. I don't know exactly what will happen or what position I will be in or where I will be playing, but I definitely can say that wherever I am and wherever I do play, I'm going to be to the best of my ability, because I don't really necessarily have a favorite position. I actually like just being on the field. I like playing the game. I like hitting."

   Last season, Gordon was limited to 34 games before suffering a season ending Tibia fracture in May, getting 16 hits in 93 plate appearances before the injury. In 2022, he posted a .272/.316/.427 slash line with a 111 OPS+, 9 home runs, 28 doubles, and 50 RBI's in 136 games.

   Okert is a reliever who relies heavily on his slider, which induces a high strikeout rate. He averaged 11.2 strikeouts per 9 innings over 58 2/3 innings in 2023 and 11 strikeouts per 9 in 51 innings in 2022, not small sample sizes. He gives the Twins another left handed option in the bullpen that has been heavily fortified this offseason.

   Last season was Okert's 3rd with the Marlins and 6th in the major leagues, debuting in 2016. He posted a 4.45 ERA, 4.09 FIP, and 1.261 WHIP, throwing 58 2/3 innings while making two starts and 62 relief appearances for the Marlins. He allowed one run in one inning in the postseason.

   Across all 3 seasons with the Marlins, Okert struck out more batters than total innings pitched, striking out 176 hitters in 146 innings. He had a 123 ERA+ and joins Caleb Thielbar as high leverage lefties in the Twins bullpen.

   With the Marlins, Gordon will continue to assume his super utility player status as they look to build off a playoff year in 2023. Okert is the latest addition to a Twins bullpen that already added Justin Topa, Josh Staumont, and Jay Jackson as options before high leverage relievers Thielbar, Jhoan Duran, and Griffin Jax.

Comments